<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 16, 2008

Much Like You SHARK by Logan Ryan Smith 

"I find myself larger than I am and floating in oxygen and light

I
a drinker
and lover of the dark"

--from the book, by Logan Ryan Smith


FANTASTIC BOOK! AND IT'S A FREE PDF, WHAT, ARE, YOU, WAITING FOR! CLICK HERE!

"how quick I am despite my heavy conscience" he writes much later in the poem. It's been a long time since I've read and liked a poem, or anything, where the poet/writer compares themselves with non-human animals to find the world to see themselves. Usually there's an endless listing of similes, which make me cringe and stop reading.

This could be set to music, I think, with the poet reading, better than most poems around. It begs for such a thing to happen. Here's a favorite color passage:


"in the water garden
of our bodies
the red sometimes
takes over the blue
and the vessels
still move"


A HUGE FAN of Smith's book THE SINGERS, I was excited to see this PDF available from Dusie on Goodreads.com, and am glad to have given it a nice, slow, drink. And the water in this poem is part blood, and blood of the poem is like all blood, the PH of ocean water, thus.... How many samples are too many samples? I mean, do people get angry if you use too many? Well, I want to use one more, even though the whole poem awaits to be sampled, frankly, but its readers:


"but I’ll speak now
I’ll speak for you and me
since it’ll one day be our innards
they’ll be judging:

I cannot claim that I didn’t know better
and I never meant to hurt a thing
but I cannot explain
desire
anymore
than you can cause time to stop

Time to stop.

oh how I just wanted things to slow down"


OK, so, can you HEAR it set to music with me now? You would have to be tone deaf to not hear it, and if you are tone deaf I'm sad for you.

CAConrad

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?