<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Three poems by Carl Rakosi (morning read) 

I picked up my Collected Carl Rakosi (National Poetry Foundation, Orono, Maine) this morning and read through about 150 pages or so, which has me thinking of Carl and his great sprit: both ornery and calming -- humorous and precise -- lovely and right -- Carl Rakosi.

Here are three poems by Mr. Rakosi:



A MUSTACHE DRAWN ON CAPTAIN PATTERSON


I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts
the Vincents hit us tonight.
The village chief just took off,
claiming he had business in Danang.


I'd like to take off myself,
all the way to Flint, Michigan.
For openers I'd show up at the airport
with a big sign, GET THE MARINES OUT OF VIETNAM.
Under that in smaller letters:
starting with me.




THE COUNTRY SINGER


There ain't nothin special about me.
Everybody knows I'm too fat
and my legs are too short.
I'm just a middle-aged cornball
with a loud voice
and a drinking problem.


It's a funny thing,
when I'm on stage
all I do is act like me.
But I can act me
like a son of a bitch!




TO A COLLIE PUP


Nobody had to show you
where the sun is
or that my back
could serve the same purpose
as a tree.


Why, you are hardly old enough
to know the difference
between your tail and a shadow,
yet the warm radiator
and your bowl of water
are already old friends.


The way you look up at me
with a saint in each eye
one would never suspect
that you chase birds and chickens
and steal stale bread
from the neighbor's trashcan.


Lay off, you beggar
I just fed you
and took you walking.


Go spring
into the autumn leaves.
Nuzzle and roll
as if there were nothing
in the whole wide world
but fun.


How is it that you play
with my shoelace
and understand so well
how to love me?


For this you shall have
the key to my bedroom
and the degree
of master of arts.










--

Tom Devaney


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?